Wednesday, September 12, 2012

9/13/12

One of the things in life I am most passionate about is horses. Horses are the sole reason I am in montana. So since this is what means most to me in life I found it fitting to find some photos of horses. Plus it would defiantely benefit me to learn alittle more about photographing the creatures I intend to base my life around and use that to further my career. So when I looked up well known horse photographers I stumbled across Susan Sexton.

Although she passed away in 2009 her work still lives on. She started out on her photo journey early in life, but when she turned 16 she moved into her own mobile home with a photo lab and went on the road to become a horse photographer. She started by shooting any horses she could find, but later on in life found she liked to photograph dressage.


So she moved down to the east coast and made a living off comercial photography. Her photos can be found in several well known equine magazines such as Dressage Today and Sport Horse Illustrated. Later on in life though she left the commercial side of her horse photography life and tried to focus more on the art side of her photography.






The photos she takes of horses are different and very interesting in my opinion. She has interesting perspective and uses angles to capture amazing photos.
I liked this photo becuse it really shows the horse's emotion through the eyes. Most horse people would not answer eyes when you ask them what the horse's most beautiful feature is, but Susan saw the beauty in this horse's eyes and she produced a beautiful picture because of that.


I was very impressed with Susan's story and I really enjoyed her pictures. I feel like although these pictures are not your average horse pictures they are beautiful and they gave me new perspective on how to photograph a horse.
http://susanthephotographer.com/blog/

No comments:

Post a Comment